Metheringham 1856

Whites Directory

Whites directories are a valuable source of information about locations in England during the 19th century.  Although they give a description of the location, unlike the census, they are not comprehensive, tending to give only a list of landowners and tradespeople. They are nevertheless indispensable as a research tool. This extract is taken from Whites 1856 Directory of Lincolnshire

See also other Whites entries for the Metheringham Area

Metheringham is a large improving village, on a gentle declivity, between Lincoln Heath and the Cardyke navigation, 11 miles N. of Sleaford and 9 miles S.E. of Lincoln.  Its parish increased its population from 536 in 1801, to 880 in 1831, to 1197 in 1841 and to 1522 souls in 1851. It contains 5682A.1R.32P. of land, including the scattered farms of Barf, on the bold undulations of Lincoln Heath, extending 4 miles W.; and a long tract of cultivated fen, extending 6 miles E. of the village, where there is a hamlet called Tanvats, and several scattered houses on and near the west banks of the river Witham.  Charles Chaplin, esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil; but Mr W sharp owns the old hall, which is now divided into tenements, and was formerly a seat of the Skipwiths and the Dymokes.  Metheringham Cottage, a neat mansion, on the enclosed heath, 6 miles S.S.E. of Lincoln, is the seat and property of C.F. Cooke, Esq.  Part of the parish belongs to Carre's Hospital in Sleaford, and the Ellis and other families.  An ancient Cross, which stood in the village was replaced by a new one in 1835, at the cost of about £25, and a market is now held round it on Saturday evenings.  The drainage of the parish is aided by a steam engine of 20-horse power, and has dried an ancient spring called Holywell.  The Church (st. Wifrid) is a large structure, and has a handsome monument to one of the Skipwiths.  The chancel was rebuilt some years ago.  the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8. 0s. 10d., and now at £300, is in the gift of the Marquis of Bristol, and incumbency of the Rev. Isham Case. The impropriate rectory belongs to Sleaford Hospital, and has 773A.2R.32P of land, mostly allotted in lieu of tithes at the enclosure, when the vicarial tithes were commuted for 242A.25P.  On July 9th, 1599, the church and a great part of the village were burnt down, but were restored soon afterwards.  The parish was anciently called Mederingham, from its rich meadows.  In the parish are three chapels, belonging to the Wesleyans, the Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyan Reformers, built in 1840, 1850 and 1853.  The Wesleyan chapel has a large day school, aided by government grants.  The Parish School was established by subscription, in 1841. the Reformers' chapel is called the People's Hall, from its being used for public meetings, &c.  In the village is a flourishing Sick Club, and also a Cow Club.  The poor parishioners have 3R.37P. of land left by one Colley; and an annuity of £3, left by John Ellis in 1829

METHERINGHAM PARISH
Marked 1 live at Barf; 2, the Field; 3, Heath; 4, Fen;
5, on the Witham Bank; 6, Tanvats; and the rest in Metheringham