Metheringham 1882

Whites Directory

Whites directories are a valuable source of information about locations in England during the 19th century.  Although they give a description of the location, unlike the census, they are not comprehensive, tending to give only a list of landowners and tradespeople. They are nevertheless indispensable as a research tool. This extract is taken from Whites 1882 Directory of Lincolnshire

See also other Whites entries for the Metheringham Area

METHERINGHAM is a large and improving village, on a gentle declivity, between Lincoln Heath and the Cardyke Navigation, 11 miles N. of Sleaford, and 9 miles S.E. of Lincoln. It is in the Parts of Kesteven, Lincoln union, county court district, and petty sessional division, and Langoe wapentake, Metheringham pollind district of Mid Lincolnshire and Longoboby rural deanery of Lincoln archdeaconry. Its rateable value is £8039. Its population increased from 536 in 1801, to 880 in 1831, to 1197 in 1841, 1522 in 1851 and to 1857 in 1881. It contains 5682A. 1R. 32P.of land, including three scattered farms, on the bold undulations of Lincoln Heath, extending 4 miles W. ; and a long tract of cultivated fen, extending 6 miles E. of the village, and a hamlet called Tanvats, on the north bank of the Delph drain, (which is here crossed by a wooden bridge), and several scattered houses on the west bank of the River Witham. The new railway from spalding to Lincoln will pass through this parish, and will have a station a quarter of a mile E.S.E. of the church. Henry Chaplin, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the soil; but the Snow, Greenham, Elvidge, and Marshall families have estates here. The Barfs farm is in the fen side, and is now occupied by a ground keeper. The old Hall, which is now divided into tenements, and was formerly a seat of the Skipwiths and the Dymokes, belongs to Mr William Marshall. Metheringham Heath Cottage, a neat mansion on the enclosed heath, 6 miles S.S.E. of Lincoln, is the seat and property of Hayland Greenham, Esq. An ancient cross, which stood in the village, was replaced by a new one in 1835, at a cost of about £25, and a market is now held round it on Saturday evenings. The drainage of the is parish is aided by a steam engine of 20-horse power and has dried an ancient spring called Holywell. In Doomsday Book, Medrichesham is described as owned by King William the Conqueror, Hugh Earl of Chester (the King's nephew), Walter d'Eyncourt (lord of Blankney), Robert de Stafford, and Sorlibrand (a Saxon Thane). The number of acres liable to taxes were 2820—1380 arable, 470 meadow, and 190 underwood. There were three mills, one valued at 8s. per annum, and the other two at 12s. There were also 12 sokemen, 28 villeins, and 26 bordars.

The Church (St. Wilfrid) consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and a square embattled tower with five bells, is a large stone built structure. The chancel was rebuilt in 1601; and the church was restored in 1858 at a cost of £700, and contains a handsome monument to one of the Skipwiths, and about 400 sittings. The north aisle was enlarged in 1870, at a cost of about £300, defrayed by the vicar and parishioners. The tower was restored by the vicar and churchwardens at a cost of £32. The register dates from 1538. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8 0s. 10d., and now at £300, is in the gift of the Marquis of Bristol, and incumbency of the Rev. W.J. Rawson, who resides at the vicarage house, which was enlarged in 1863. The impropriate rectory belongs to Sleaford Hospital, and has 773a. 2r. 32p. of land, mostly allotted in lieu of tithes at the enclosure, when the vicarial tithes were commuted for 262 acres. On July 9, 1599, the church and a great part of the village were burnt down, but were restored soon afterwards. The parish was anciently called Medricsham, from its rich meadows. In the village are three chapels belonging to the Wesleyans, the Primitive Methodists, and the Wesleyan Reformers, built in 1840, 1850, and 1853. The Wesleyan Reformers hare also a chapel in the Fen, built in 1863 and one at Tanvats, erected in 1840. At Tanvats is a licensed school chapel, built in 1868, where service is held once every Sunday. A day school is held in the building, and is attended by about 35 children. The Wesleyan chapel in the village has a large day school, aided by Government grants, and attened by 80 children. The Church School was established in 1841, and is attended by 170 children. The school was erected as a public hall, by a company of shareholders, but was bought by the lord of the manor about the year 1865, and given to the vicar and churchwardens for a school. In the village is a sick club having 247 members, and an accumulated fund of over £830; and also a cow club, a pig club, and a clothing and coal club. The poor parishioners have 3r. 37p. of land, left by one Colley, which is let at 30s. per annum, and is given to thirty poor women ; and an annuity of £3, left by John Ellis in 1829.

Post, Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank at Mr. Edward Skinn's. Letters arrive at 9.50 a.m. via Sleaford and 3.30 p.m. via Lincoln, and are despatched at 9.50 a.m. via Lincoln and 3.30 p.m. via Sleaford. There is one delivery on Sunday at 9.50 a.m., and a despatch at 2.45 p.m., via Lincoln.