Dunston 1892

Whites Directory

Whites directories are a valuable source of information about locations in England during the 19th century.  Although they give a description of the location, unlike the census, they are not comprehensive, tending to give only a list of landowners and tradespeople. They are nevertheless indispensable as a research tool. This extract is taken from Whites 1892 Directory of Lincolnshire

See also other Whites entries for the Metheringham Area

DUNSTON, which has a railway station on the G. N. and G. E. joint line, called Nocton and Dunston, is a parish and pleasant village upon a fertile plain, and on the banks of a rivulet, 8 miles S.E. of Lincoln, and is in the Parts of Kesteven, Lincoln union, county court district, and petty sessional division, Langoe wapentake, and Longoboby rural deanery of Lincoln archdeaconry. Its rateable value is £4153. In 1891 it had 652 inhabitants, and 4620 acres of land, extending 3 miles westward from the village, to Dunston Pillar, on Lincoln Heath, and 6 miles eastward, across the fen, to the River Witham, opposite Southrey station. George Hodgson Esq., of Bradford, is lord of the manor, and owner of the greater part of the soil, the rest belonging to smaller proprietors.

Dunston Pillar, on Lincoln Heath, and on the London Road, 5 miles S. by E. of Lincoln, was erected in 1751, by Francis Dashwood, Esq., for the purpose of directing travellers over the then extensive and dreary heath, which is now enclosed and cultivated. A lantern was placed on the summit, and lighted during the night; but since the enclosure, and the formation of good roads across the heath in all directions, the pillar has been rendered useless as a beacon, and is now surmounted by a colossal statue of George III., in his robes, erected in 1810, by the Earl of Buckinghamshire to commemorate the 50th anniversary of that monarch's reign. The pillar is a plain quadrangle stone shaft, of pyramidal shape, rising to the height of 92 feet, and ascended by a spiral staircase to the statue, round the base of which are several stone steps, resting on a massive cornice. The pillar stands in a square enclosure, planted with shady trees.

The Church (St. Peter) was, with the exception of the tower, rebuilt in 1875, at a cost of £4200, towards which the Marquis of Ripon subscribed £3000. It consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, vestry and organ chamber containing a new organ, built at a cost of £250 by Nicholson of Lincoln. The body is paved with Minton, and the chancel with encaustic tiles. The old Norman arch was replaced in the south porch. The east window of stained glass was erected in 1889, by Peter Robinson, Esq., a former resident, in memory of his wife. The churchyard was enlarged in 1889, the additional portion being presented by the Marquis of Ripon. The register dates from 1564. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are the impropriators of the rectory, and the Earl de Grey the patron of the vicarage, which is valued in K.B. at £7 0s. 8d., and now at £215, in the incumbency of the Rev. Stephen Eugene Bourne, B.A., who has a good vicarage house, built in 1826, and enlarged in 1850, by the then vicar, the Rev. Y. G. Lloyd, M. A., at whose expense a School, was built two years afterwards. The school was enlarged in 1890, at a cost of about £200. At the enclosure, the tithes were commuted, for an allotment of 475 acres to the rectory, and 135 acres to the vicarage. The vicar has also 14a. at Fosdyke, purchased with a grant from Q.A.B. The Wesleyan Chapel erected in 1833, was restored in 1884, at a cost of £130. The Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyan Reformers have also Chapels. Dunston Hospital, an ancient foundation for leprous persons, stood on the heath, a little south of the Pillar, but no traces of it now remain. The Loyal Ripon Lodge of Oddfellows meet at the Red Lion.

Post Office at Mr. John Smalley's. Letters arrive at 7.30 a.m. and 6.5 p.m., and are despatched at 7.10 a.m., and 5.50 p.m. Sundays arrive at 7.30 a.m., and are despatched at 5.50 p.m. via Lincoln. Metheringham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

Letters to the Heath should be addressed Nocton, Lincoln; Dunston need not be mentioned.

  • Bavin John, cottager
  • Black George, manager
  • Bourne Rev Stephen Eugene, B.A. vicar, The Vicarage
  • Bowling John D. farmer, Fen
  • Burtt Walter, coal and manure merchant, railway depot; and Wellingore
  • Cartwright Jas. farmer. Pillar farm
  • Cartwright Mr Thos. Pillar farm
  • Caswell John, frmr. Metheringham
  • Clifton James, farmer, Manor house; and Nocton
  • Corbett John Thomas, National schoolmaster
  • Danby Samuel, baker, flour dealer and farmer
  • Dawson Thomas, cowkeeper
  • Foster Mr William Gresham Joshua, vict. White Horse, farmer and ferryman, Southrey ferry, Fen
  • Halkes Thos. joiner, wheelwright, blacksmith, builder, contractor & dealer in building materials;
  • Hall John, joiner
  • Hardy Thos. vict. Butchers' Arms
  • Johnson George, stationmaster
  • Kennewell James, hawker & carrier
  • Maltby Harry, farmer & vict. Red Lion; and plumber, &c. Metheringham
  • Moody Joseph, sexton
  • Paske Henry, cottager
  • Pearson Jonathan, farmer, Fen
  • Pearson William, farmer, Fen
  • Pepper William, farmer, Dunston house
  • Robinson George, bootmaker and hurdle maker
  • Rouston John William, bootmaker
  • Smalley John, grocer, draper, beer retailer and postmaster
  • Smalley William, tailor and draper
  • Smith John, cottager
  • Snow Mrs Ceres, The Sycamores
  • Todd John, farmer, Fen
  • Trafford Charles Clarke, grocer & threshing machine owner
  • Turner Benjamin, tailor, draper and grocer
  • Turner William, farmer and taxcollector, Water Mill farm
  • Wilson Laughton John, farmer, Brooke farm
  • Wray Thomas, grocer, draper and butcher
  • Wray Timothy, frmr. White house;and Metheringham
  • Railway.—G. N. and G. E. joint station, Nocton & Dunston; Geo. Johnson, stationmaster
  • Carriers.—James Kennewell, to Lincoln, Tuesday and Friday