Metheringham Village

The Metheringham Market Cross

Pre-1911 Cross

Pre-1911 Cross

There has been a market cross in the centre of the village since at least 1835, probably earlier as documents record that the cross was reconstructed in 1838. A cross was built in 1911 to celebrate George V's coronation and the remnants of the previous cross were moved to the wall adjacent to the library, the centre section was removed after vandals wrecked it. A small section can still be seen embedded in the wall. The poor repair work is obvious.

Remnants of the pre-1911 Cross

Remnants of pre -1911 Cross

The existing cross was built in 1947 for £70 to replace the 1911 Cross which was knocked down by a US Army Lorry - It has a time box underneath it.

News article from August 26th - 1911

Reproduced with the kind permission of Lincolnshire Gazette

Metheringham was quite a centre of interest on Saturday afternoon and there was a large assembly of visitors and parishioners to witness the unveiling by Lord Londesborough, of the newly-constructed cross.

Owing to the dilapidated condition of the old cross, it was, after advice had been taken as to its antiquarian interest, pulled down, and this new one erected, as a memorial of the Coronation of King George V and Queen Mary. It is handsome and durable, and forms a conspicuous feature on the site of the old one.

1911 Market Cross

1911 Market Cross

The ceremony on Saturday was presided over by Mr J. Scoley, Chairman of the Parish Council. The chairman, in his opening remarks, referred to the lateness of the celebration. The committee appointed to arrange the celebration decided to make a permanent memorial to celebrate the event, and it was decided to build a new cross.

Dr Ellis explained the meaning of the old cross, saying there were similar erections in all parts of the country – some of them built in the Middle Ages.

The history of the erection of the present cross was well known. The one that preceded it had gone through neglect, partly through age. An ugly lamp was placed on top of it, and it was felt generally throughout the village that it was somewhat of a disgrace.

A meeting was held to consider how best to celebrate the Coronation, and it was unanimously decided that a new cross be erected on the site of the old one. It was agreed to take expert opinion as to whether the old cross ought to be preserved, and as a result it was found that there was nothing to show that the erection was any older than 1835. As it was so dilapidated, it was decided to take it down and build an entirely new one.

Metheringham Market Cross

Metheringham Market Cross

Although there was no evidence that the cross was older than 1835, they were probably justified in thinking that there was such a cross there previous to that date, as a long time previous the place was named Cross Hill.

Naturally, there was a feeling of affection and sentimental regard for the old cross, which was known as a landmark by many of then from youth up, and it had been decided to reconstruct it close by.

Lord Londesborough had generously given a piece of land, and it would be built in a recess, with steps on which the old people could sit on to look at the new one. Lord Londesborough then unveiled the cross, and in so doing expressed his pleasure at being present at the ceremony.The cross, which was made in the workshop of Mr F. W. Baldock of Metheringham stands 16ft 9in high, is octagonal, and stands on an octagonal base in the form of steps, which is surrounded by a pavement of local stone.

The ornamental cap and cross are in 15th Century Gothic style; the shaft and ornamental work being in Bath weather stone. The shaft bears a device, ‘GVR’ in gun metal.

In the basement of the cross was placed a sealed jar containing certain articles and the following message to future generations: ‘This cross is erected to the glory of God, and in commemoration of the Coronation of our sovereign Lord King George V, June 22nd, 1911. Long may he reign.’

The cost of the work, about £60, has been met by public subscription. A list of the donors, together with a copy of the Holy Bible, Lord Tennyson’s works, the times newspaper of June 22nd, picture papers, and some coins have been enclosed in the jar.<

When they again see the light of a far distant day, may it be the noon tide of that reign of world-wide peace that has been the cherished object of Britons under Edward VII, the peacemaker.