St Wilfrids C of E Church

St Wilfrid's now has its own website.
Visit www.stwilfrids.org.uk for
details of church services and other information.

St Wilfrids

St Wilfrids - an early postcard

St Wilfrid's Church

St Wilfrids Church

It is not known when the people of Metheringham (Medrichesham) started to build their first church, but it is reasonable to assume that the Saxons built a Christian building on the site of St Wilfrid's about 600 - 700AD,  Building material was normally wood, though sometimes stone was used for the tower with the nave being built of wood.  When in about 1100AD, under Henry 1st, the Normans started their grand rebuilding, it would have been rebuilt in stone. Only part of the original Norman tower remains.

The Tower has round leaded Norman windows.  Major rebuilding work took place after a fire in 1959, when Tuscan columns were erected inside the church.  The arches are Medieval (13th Century) and were discoloured by the fire.  The middle portion of the tower is dated 1601 and was erected after the fire.  There is a fine example of an Elizabethan door, with ER embossed on it, in the south wall.

Window depicting the fire & the restoration of the church

Window depicting the fire & the restoration of the church

During the 19th century, major restoration work took place.  The chancel was extended and the north aisle rebuilt.  The oak choir stalls, screen and pulpit are 20th Century origin.  The rood screen depicts foliage with pea pods above the central arch, above which stand the rood figures.  Above the clerestory are 3 stained glass windows of fine glass in medieval style depicting 6 apostles in a row.  There are other fine windows including one near the font, commemorating the village blacksmith and his wife.  On the North aisle is a window depicting St Ignatius of Antioch.

The South Porch by John Mighell

The South Porch by John Mighell

The church was refurbished in Victorian times.  A newly decorated east window was installed.  The old perpendicular east window was reused in the chancel wall.  St Wilfrid's has the very first Parish Register (in Lincoln archives for safe keeping) dating from 1538 when Thomas Cromwell ordered the keeping of such records. 

Plan of St Wilfrid's

Plan of St Wilfrids