Metheringham Parish Council
Metheringham Parish Council Annual Meeting Minutes
Minutes 10/2012 of Metheringham, Sots Hole and Tanvats Parish Council Annual Meeting held on Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 7.30pm in the Village Hall
PRESENT: Councillors Dr M J Allen (Chairman), N Dobbs, Mrs J H Finegan,
P D Ford, Mrs J Gwillym, M Haisman, Mrs M Kristen, Mrs L Lacey,
Mrs S Peek, M E Reynolds, P Saffin, Mrs S Wilson, Mrs P Bradwell (County Council), R Kendrick (District Council), J F Money (District Council) and Ms S N Wetherall (Clerk).
1. To elect a Chairman of the Council: It was proposed by Cllr Ford and seconded by Cllr Mrs Wilson that Cllr Dr Allen be elected as Chairman. Cllr Dr Allen was willing to stand. There being no other nominations, it was resolved Cllr Dr Allen be elected as Chairman, proposed by Cllr Ford, seconded by Cllr Mrs Wilson and all were in favour.
2. To receive the Chairman’s declaration of acceptance of office: The Chairman accepted the office and signed the relevant paperwork.
3. To elect a Vice Chairman of the Council: It was proposed by Cllr Ford and seconded by Cllr Dr Allen that Cllr Mrs Finegan be elected as Vice Chairman. Cllr Mrs Finegan was willing to stand. There being no other nominations it was resolved Cllr Mrs Finegan be elected as Vice Chairman, proposed by Cllr Ford, seconded by Cllr Dr Allen and all were in favour.
4. To appoint representatives to outside bodies: These need to be independent of the outside body they are on and should report back to Full Council on a regular basis, documentation to be supplied includes; Minutes, Annual reports and Financial reports.
Outside Bodies Representatives
a) Bowls - Club Cllr Ford
b) Joint Management Committee - Cllr Dr Allen, Cllr Ford and Cllr Haisman
c) LALC County Committee - Cllr Dr Allen
d) MACLA - Vacancy
e) Metheringham Area Cluster Group - Cllr Dr Allen, Cllr Mrs Finegan, Cllr Ford and Cllr Mrs Gwillym
f) Metheringham Swimming Pool - Cllr Haisman, Cllr Mrs Peek and Cllr Saffin
g) Community Plan Steering Group - Cllr Mrs Finegan, Cllr Mrs Kristen and Cllr Mrs Lacey
h) Village Hall Management Committee - Cllr Dobbs
5. To appoint the Planning Committee:
Chairman - Cllr Dobbs
Members - Cllr Dr Allen, Cllr Mrs Finegan, Cllr Ford, Cllr Mrs Gwillym, Cllr Mrs Peek and Cllr Saffin
6. To appoint a Finance Committee:
Chairman - Cllr Mrs Wilson
Members - Cllr Dr Allen, Cllr Dobbs, Cllr Mrs Finegan, Cllr Ford, and Cllr Mrs Lacey
7. To appoint leaders and members of Working Groups:
Working group - Leader
a) Allotments - Cllr Haisman
b) Anti Social Behaviour - Cllr Dr Allen
c) Children’s Playgrounds and Playing Fields - Cllr Mrs Kristen
d) Community Emergency and Flood Plan - Cllr Mrs Finegan
e) Consultation and Questionnaires - Cllr Ford
f) Fayre & Feast - Cllr Reynolds
g) Forward Planning - Cllr Dr Allen
h) Highways, Footpaths and Car Parks - Cllr Mrs Peek
i) Risk Assessment - Cllr Dr Allen
j) Street Lighting - Cllr Reynolds
k) War Memorial and Spring - Cllr Ford
A full table of leaders and members will be circulated to all Councillors.
8. To consider the following:
a) Standing Orders MPC/001-R7
b) Financial Regulations MPC/002-R2
c) Equal Opportunities MPC/003-R1
d) Filling of Casual Vacancy MPC/004-R2
e) Disciplinary Procedure MPC/005-R2
f) Grievance Procedure MPC/006-R2
g) Complaints Procedure MPC/007-R2
h) Risk Assessment – General Procedure MPC/008-R3
i) Risk Assessment Report MPC/009-R5
j) Tenancy Agreement for Allotment Gardens MPC/010-R2
k) Freedom of Information – Publication Scheme MPC/011-R2
l) Dignity at Work/Bullying and Harassment Policy MPC/012-R1
m) Training - Statement of Intent MPC/014-R1
n) Community Engagement – Statement of Intent MPC/015-R1
o) Protocol between NKDC & MPC for Handling Notification of Complaints and Results of Hearings MPC/016-R1
p) Gifts and Hospitality Register MPC/017-R1
q) Press and Media Policy MPC/018-R1
r) Fly Posting Policy MPC/019-R1
s) Health & Safety Policy MPC/020-R1
t) Data Protection Policy MPC/021-R1
u) Document Retention, Archive and Destruction Policy MPC/022-R1
v) Scheme of Members Allowances
w) Employee Terms & Conditions
It was resolved to accept the above documents this was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Ford and all were in favour.
9. To resolve to appoint a Responsible Financial Officer: The Chairman thanked Cllr Ford for all his efforts during the past year and because he has done such an excellent job he should remain in the post for the forthcoming year. It was resolved to appoint Cllr Ford as RFO, this was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Dobbs and all were in favour.
10. To resolve to appoint an Internal Auditor: It was resolved to appoint Mr John Wood as the internal auditor for MPC, this was proposed by Cllr Ford and seconded by the Chairman with all in favour.
11. To agree annual rent for Parish Council Allotments: It was resolved to accept the current figure of £20.00 per year, per allotment, this was proposed by Cllr Ford, seconded by Cllr Mrs Wilson and all were in favour.
12. To agree the dates of full Council Meetings for 2012/2013: The schedule of meeting dates were circulated to members, it was resolved to agree the dates, this was proposed by Cllr Dobbs, seconded by Cllr Saffin and all were in favour.
13. To resolve to accept Apologies for absence and reasons given: Apologies were received from Councillor Mrs Peck. It was resolved to accept the apology and reason, this was proposed by Cllr Mrs Peek, seconded by Cllr Mrs Finegan and all were in favour.
14. Members Declarations of Interests: Declarations of interest were made by the following Councillors:
Cllr Ford declared a personal interest for Agenda Item 18e - because his wife is receiving a salary.
Cllr Mrs Wilson declared a personal interest for Agenda Item 18d and 24 – because of her connections with the Village Hall Management Committee.
15. Reports from representatives on outside bodies:
a) Cllr Mrs Bradwell informed members that the re-planting outside the library had been carried out, but not as originally planned. She was still willing to give the Parish Council some of her funding pot to complete the work. The introduction of car parking charges at the railway station have been suspended for six months. However Cllr Mrs Bradwell is keen to pursue this. Cllr Kendrick has spoken to some users of the car park and the parking charges were viewed as excessive and would cause people to use the local roads. It was felt that charging for use of the car park was counterproductive. MPC are to send a letter to East Midland Trains to request the charges are not implemented. Cllr Mrs Bradwell apologized for the lack of grass cutting by the County Council. The problem has been caused due to the contractor employing a new sub-contractor for grass cutting and there being a delay in the handover.
b) Cllr Kendrick reported a veterans weekend will be held on 29th June in Sleaford. Cllr Money thanked Cllr Mrs Bradwell for her efforts in support of the request for a reduction in the speed restriction on the B1188.
Cllr Mrs Bradwell left the meeting at 8.10pm.
c) Nothing to report from Council representatives on other outside bodies.
d) The Clerk circulated a copy of the dog warden’s report to all members.
16. Notes of the Special Council Meeting: Held on 1st May 2012, having been previously circulated, be approved as the minutes – It was resolved to sign the minutes as a true record of the meeting, this was proposed by Cllr Dobbs, seconded by Cllr Ford, one abstention (Cllr Mrs Wilson) and nine were in favour. Notes of the Annual Village Meeting held on 24th April 2012 – It was resolved the notes were approved to go forward for acceptance as Minutes at the 2013 meeting this was proposed by Cllr Saffin, seconded by
Cllr Mrs Finegan and all were in favour.
17. Clerks report on matters outstanding:
a) Request to LCC Highways: Hedge to be cut back on Fen Lane before and after the railway bridge near to Eros Labs. Network Rail have now revisited the site.
Request for speed limit to be imposed on Metheringham Fen Lane near to residential properties. This has been declined by LCC. Further letter sent to LCC asking they reconsider the request due to it being a residential area, a number of children, street lights and no footpaths.
Pot holes on Drury Street have been reported to LCC again.
Request to LCC for a wildfowl warning sign to be erected on Lincoln Road near Shiregate.
Loose cobble stones outside the library frontage have been reported to LCC for repair.
LCC grass cutting has not taken place in the village, due to LCC Contractor ending the grass cutting contract with one company and not having a new contractor in place in time. Clerk has contacted LCC again asking when the grass will be cut. Cllr Mrs Bradwell has also been informed of the problem.
b) Complaint received about banner on B1188 advertizing Hilltop Livery, reported to NKDC Enforcement officers. This has now been re-located at the site.
c) General Power of Competence training session to be held on 9th July. Clerk to attend.
d) The old street orderly barrow has been taken by Cllr Haisman, to hopefully have it repaired.
e) Occupant of 33b Alfred Avenue has written to Stephen Phillips MP regarding the request for a further street light outside the property and a further letter regarding a dog waste bin. Clerk has written to Mr Phillips, stating both matters have been previously dealt with.
f) The Localism Act, training session to be held on 24th July, this may already be overbooked, waiting for details from LALC.
g) NKDC market stalls. The stalls are now located in the village, a permanent storage area has been found. The Chairman and Clerk have purchased a second hand trailer, this has now been modified to suit.
h) Request from resident for a dog waste bin to be located on Paddock Lane near to the public footpath adjacent to Cavalry Court. The Dog Warden thought it may be a problem of youths emptying the dog waste bin contents in the area. This is to be monitored by the dog warden.
i) Request made for the following publications: How to respond to planning applications: an 8-step guide and Planning explained. I have received an e-mail they are not currently sending any of the publications.
j) Request from resident for a street light to be installed on Princes Street near to No 40. Clerk has contacted E.on to obtain a quotation. Letter sent informing them of outcome.
k) Public toilets - Fen Road, still waiting for completion date from NKDC. MPC solicitor has been chasing NKDC re: completion date. Transfer deed has been received Solicitor to negotiate with NKDC.
l) Ongoing problems with the ten way fitness station have been reported to Fresh Air Fitness for rectification. FAF have agreed to replace the parts but want MPC to install. MPC has requested the work is done by FAF.
m) Annual Reports are to be printed at a reduced cost of £577.00.
n) Nocton and Dunston Parish Councils have made enquiries regarding the villages having mains gas. E-mail sent to Doreen Green requesting further details. The cost will depend on the number of properties requiring gas, another consideration is any properties that change to gas would have to purchase a new boiler.
o) BKV – Parish Council walk about took place on 22nd May, details are to be passed back to the Clerk for action.
p) East Midlands Trains have stated there will not be any charges at the railway station car park, but this will be reviewed in six months time.
q) Quotation requested for a solar light to be installed in the youth shelter.
r) Banners ordered for ‘Metheringham Swimming Pool, Under New Management, Now Open’
18. Financial matters:
a) To consider a donation of £500.00 to Metheringham Area First
Responders (LIVES) for delivering the Parish Council Annual Report: It was resolved to make a donation of £500.00 to LIVES, using the Power of Well Being, this was proposed by Cllr Ford, seconded by Cllr Saffin and all were in favour.
b) To resolve to approve the Insurance renewal premium of £5,251.59.00 due on 1st June 2012: It was resolved to accept the renewal premium, this was proposed by Cllr Ford, seconded by Cllr Reynolds and all were in favour.
c) Swimming Pool:
i) To formally approve payment of £1350.00 to Metheringham Swimming Pool for general maintenance issues and relaying of slabs (health & safety issue) prior to the opening of the pool.
ii) To consider and approve a working budget for the current season. Following a short discussion it was agreed a tremendous amount of time and effort has been put into the swimming pool, the payment of £1350.00 was approved and it was resolved a further £2,000.00 will be available to spend on specific items eg disabled hoist, this was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Reynolds and all were in
favour. MPC are to meet with the executive committee asap.
d) Village Hall:
i) To consider a request from the Village Hall Management Committee for MPC to pay costs associated with electrical work to the hall: It was resolved three quotations should be obtained for the electrical work, this was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Dobbs and all were in favour.
ii) To consider a request from the Village Hall Management Committee for a grant or loan of £1,600.00 to carry out repairs to the shed: Following a debate about the ownership of the shed, further information and clarification is needed. VHMC and MPC need to establish if the shed is actually needed or could the equipment be stored in the village hall? This item has been deferred until the next meeting.
Cllrs Kendrick and Money left the meeting at 8.29pm.
e) To consider accounts for payment:
|Payment to||Amount £|
|MACLA Special Events – Jubilee celebrations donation||2000.00|
|Silver Sounds Band – Christmas Celebrations||50.00|
|LALC 2012/2013 Annual Subscription||371.00|
|E-on – quarterly energy supply||1178.29|
|Penny Mardon – Buffet for AVM||300.00|
|Employee Salaries, Expenses and LCC Pension||2311.27|
|HM Revenue & Customs||373.34|
|N Dobbs – travel expenses||28.70|
|Parish Dog Warden||360.00|
|MVHMC – Hire of hall||39.00|
|Scouts – Hire of Hall for Tinkers Playgroup||64.00|
|BACS Payments – April 2012||7075.60|
|Staples – Stationery Annual Reports - AVM||11.23|
|Tesco – Refreshments AVM||63.88|
|Total April 2012||7150.71|
|E-on – war memorial lighting||15.52|
|E-on – public toilet lighting||28.94|
|NKDC – Building Regulations re: Bowls Club||150.00|
|HMRC – Tax adjustment from 2011-2012||46.51|
|Scotts Trailers – second hand trailer||1295.00|
|Veolia – grass cutting||48.47|
|Hampshire Flag – St George’s & Lincolnshire Flags||102.49|
|J Wood – Internal Audit||50.00|
|Roy Darwood – unblock toilets||40.00|
|Bluefin – Insurance add bus shelter to policy||26.50|
|Metheringham Swimming Pool||1350.00|
|Chris Lilley – Bowls Club – Planning Application||220.00|
|Viking Direct – Stationery||20.77|
|Community Lincs – P Saffin training||35.00|
|Employee Salaries, Expenses and LCC Pension||2461.42|
|HM Revenue & Customs||540.87|
|Parish Dog Warden||450.00|
|MVHMC – Hire of hall||39.00|
|County Cups – Banners for swimming pool||80.00|
|Viking Direct – Stationery||90.32|
|Scotts Trailers – modifications||406.00|
|BACS Payments – May 2012||7496.81|
|Community Lincs – BKV Competition||18.00|
|P Chambers – Plants for library frontage||39.52|
|Total May 2012||7554.33|
Cllrs Dobbs declared a personal interest in this item as he was receiving a payment. Cllr Saffin declared a personal interest in this item because he had attended a training course. It was resolved to make payment of the accounts, this was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Reynolds, three abstentions (Cllr Dobbs, Cllr Ford and Cllr Saffin) and seven were in favour.
f) To receive a report from the RFO on the PC finances – There were no
questions or queries on the financial position.
g) To receive, approve and sign the Statement of Accounts for the Audit Return 2011/2012 and answer each Section of the Annual Governance Statement: The Chairman explained the document to members, it was resolved to sign and send the Annual Return to the external auditor this was proposed by Cllr Haisman, seconded by Cllr Mrs Wilson and all were in favour.
h) To approve posting of notice of the Annual Audit on the PC notice board: It was resolved to post the notice, proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Dobbs and all were in favour.
a) To note general correspondence: Appendix 1.
It was resolved to suspend the meeting at 8.44pm for a short refreshment break, this was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Haisman and all were in favour.
The meeting resumed at 9.01pm.
20. To receive reports on outside meetings:
a) To receive a report from Cllrs Mrs Kristen and Mrs Peek on Health and Safety/Risk Assessment training session: The session was presented by Trisha Carter and contained some useful information.
b) To receive a report from members on Emergency Planning training session: Cllr Mrs Finegan said the session was helpful, the presenter was overly optimistic. An information package and CD have been provided to assist in compiling a plan, this contains templates and how to deal with it. A meeting of the Emergency Planning Working group is to be arranged.
c) To receive a report from members on Community Matters workshop: Members found the session informative, the fire brigade can supply certain equipment FOC to vulnerable people.
d) To receive a report from Cllr Saffin on Training for People Responsible for a Children’s Play Area: A written report was circulated to all members. Cllr Saffin is confident he can inspect and maintain the Parish Council play park equipment.
21. To receive reports from Working Groups:
a) Allotments: Tenant of Plot 1 has had problems of flooding and has asked for some top soil. ACTION: Working Group
b) Anti Social Behaviour: Information has been requested on dispersal orders and Designated Public Places Orders. The next meeting will be held on 11th June 2012 at 2.00pm in the pavilion. ACTION: Working Group
c) Children’s Playgrounds and Playing Fields – Cllr Mrs Kristen reported that checks had been carried out to the equipment. Princes Street: there have been litter problems and the log walk needs attention. Clerk to ask handyman to deal. ACTION: Clerk/Handyman/Working Group
d) Christmas Celebrations: A meeting has been arranged. Date TBC. ACTION: Working Group
e) Community Emergency and Flood Plan – This will be an ongoing project. ACTION: Working Group
f) Consultation and Questionnaires – Nothing to report.
g) Fayre and Feast – A meeting took place on 22nd May, the next meeting will be held on 24th July at 7.00pm in the pavilion. It has been suggested the Jubilee Queens past and present should open the event. Cllr Reynolds has allocated Councillors to the Road Closure points. Details to be circulated. ACTION: Working Group
h) Forward Planning – A meeting was held on 10th May to review the legal documents produced by LCC. This will be discussed in more detail at Item 22. ACTION: Working Group
i) Highways, Footpaths and Car Parks – Pot holes are being reported to LCC on a regular basis.
j) Risk Assessment – A further meeting is to be arranged.
k) Street Lighting – Three problems have been identified, Cllr Reynolds to report. ACTION: Working Group
l) War Memorial and Spring – Nothing to report.
22. Recreation field & related issues: The Chairman gave a brief overview following a comprehensive review of the legal documents produced by LCC. There are a number of significant issues that the Parish Council cannot accept. A meeting with LCC has been arranged for 16th July at 2.00pm in the pavilion. ACTION: Working Group
23. Skate Park/BMX Track Project: An update was received from the skate park group at the last Forward Planning Meeting. They are to provide details of what is required, quotations will then be obtained. The Parish Council have received an offer of some mobile skate equipment. When in use this would need to be supervised. It was agreed MPC should pursue the offer. ACTION: Clerk
24. Management Committees: A new reporting structure is to be implemented. Financial procedures and risk assessment documents are to be produced. Roles and responsibilities of management committee officers to be produced and circulated to bowls club, swimming pool, and village hall. ACTION: Clerk/Working Group
25. Armed Forces Day 2012: Flag raising ceremony will take place on Monday 25th June at 10.15am at the war memorial garden. It was agreed the event should remain at a local level, a similar format to last year will be followed. ACTION: Clerk
26. Metheringham Parish Council Website: Members considered setting up an independent website through the facility available from Lincolnshire County Council, many parish/town councils already use the facility. Information contained on the MACLA website will be transferred to the new site. The Chairman queried whether we would be able to use the current e-mail addresses. Clerk to make enquiries. ACTION: Clerk/Cllr Haisman
27. Training: The Clerk provided members with the list of training courses being held by LALC. Members to inform the Clerk of their choices.
28. Date, time and venue of next meeting: Tuesday 26th June 2012 at 7.30pm in the Village Hall.
29. Public bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 Exclusion of the Press and the Public: It was resolved that in accordance with Section 1(2) of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 and by reason of the confidential nature of the remainder of the business, the Press and the Public be excluded from the Meeting. Proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Haisman and all were in favour.
30. Swimming Pool: Following the dissolution of MADSPA, it was resolved no further action will be taken, this was proposed by Cllr Ford, seconded by Cllr Saffin, two abstentions (Cllr Mrs Finegan and Cllr Mrs Peek) and eight were in favour.
The meeting closed at 10.19pm.
Addendum 01/2012 of Metheringham, Sots Hole and Tanvats Annual Meeting of the Council, held on Tuesday 29th May 2012 at 7.30pm in the Village Hall
Announcements: The Chairman made a number of announcements relating to fire alarms, exits and conduct during the meeting.
1. Police Report: Unfortunately there were no police present at the meeting. The Clerk read the police report. During the period 27/03/2012 and 29/05/2012 there have been 5 crimes recorded, which relate to: 3 – burglary dwelling, 1 – damage to motor vehicle and 1 – criminal damage.
2. Public Forum: There was one member of the public present at the meeting, she requested ‘wildfowl’ signs are installed on Lincoln Road near to the Shiregate junction. Miss Taylor presented the Council with a petition in support of signage. The Clerk had already requested wildfowl signage and will write to LCC with a copy of the petition.
The Chairman thanked Miss Taylor for taking the time to attend the meeting.