Scopwick 1842

Whites Directory

Whites directories are a valuable source of information about locations in England during the 19th century.  Although they give a description of the location, unlike the census, they are not comprehensive, tending to give only a list of landowners and tradespeople. They are nevertheless indispensable as a research tool. This extract is taken from Whites 1842 Directory of Lincolnshire

See also other Whites entries for the Metheringham Area

SCOPWICK, a well-built village, on a gentle declivity, near the source of a rivulet, 8.5 miles N. of Sleaford, has in its parish 409 souls and 3351 acres of land, extending three miles east and west of the village, and having a fertile soil, resting on limestone, except in the vale west of the Car-Dyke, where the soil is peaty, on a substratum of clay.  Charles Chaplin, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of the greater part of the land; and the remainder belongs to Matthew Sewell, Esq., and the Pears, Catton, George, and other families.  The Church (Holy Cross) is an ancient fabric, which was partly rebuilt about 40 years ago.  It is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8, and now at £130, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lincoln, and incumbency of the Rev. George Oliver, D.D.  It has been augmented with £400 royal bounty.  The tithes are commuted for a yearly modus, varying with the price of corn.  Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel. After heavy rains, numerous springs boil up in various parts of the parish, and give rise to many small rivulets.

CARRIER to Linc..
Merryweather G.