Scopwick 1892

Whites Directory

Whites directories are a valuable source of information about locations in England during the 19th century.  Although they give a description of the location, unlike the census, they are not comprehensive, tending to give only a list of landowners and tradespeople. They are nevertheless indispensable as a research tool. This extract is taken from Whites 1892 Directory of Lincolnshire

See also other Whites entries for the Metheringham Area

SCOPWICK is a well built village, near the source of a rivulet, 8½ miles N. of Sleaford. and its parish is in the Parts of Kesteven, Sleaford union, county court district, and petty sessional division, Langoe wapentake, and Longoboby rural deanery of Lincoln archdeaconry. Its rateable value is £3349. It contained 349 inhabitants in 1891, and has 3190 acres of land, extending two miles east and a mile and a half west of the village, and having a fertile soil, resting on limestone, except in the vale west of the Car Dyke, where the soil is peaty, on a substratum of clay. The Right Hon. Henry Chaplin, M.P., is lord of the manor and owner of the greater part of the land, and the remainder belongs to J. G. Sewell, Esq., Messrs. Thomas Young and William Mitton, and other proprietors. The railway from Spalding to Lincoln passes through this parish, and the station is about 1½ mile east of the church. After heavy rains numerous springs boil up in various parts of the parish, and give rise to several small rivulets. The Church (Holy Cross), which consists of nave, aisles, chancel, south porch and a short, broad, square tower, containing three bells, is an ancient fabric, the chancel of which was rebuilt in 1801. It contains some ancient monuments in memory of members of the Sewell family. It was restored in 1882 at a cost of £800, chiefly at the expense of the lord of the manor, who is also lay impropriator. The register dates from 1606, and is in a good state of preservation from 1709. The living, a discharged vicarage, rated in K.B. at £8, has been consolidated with that of Kirkby Green since 1867, and both benefices, now valued at £312, are in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Hall, B.A., who has a good vicarage house, which was enlarged at his expense in 1870. The benefice has been augmented with £400 Royal Bounty. The tithes are commuted for a corn-rent, which is revisable every 14 years. There is a small Wesleyan Chapel and a Church School.

Post Office at Mr. Hannam Bagaley's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m. and at 5.30 p.m., and are despatched at 7.35 a.m. and at 5.5 p.m., via Lincoln. Metheringham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.